Tuesday, June 3, 2008

Oooooh! A Bug!

I saw this bug this morning, and I haven't a clue what it is. It looks cool, though. Kind of looks like a cross between a Mosquito Hawk and a tiny Grasshopper.

Any experts out there know what this is?





Edited to say: One of the guys I sing with, Bruce Caldwell, sent me an email and said,

"Hey, thanks for the photos. I have gone through all the insect guides I
have, and My best guess is a nymph, narrow-winged tree cricket (Oecanthus
niveous), but body shape across the back (winged area) and the "striped"
antennae don't really match exactly. So... Answer...I think it is a species
of tree cricket, but don't know which one for sure. BC"

1 comment:

Alison said...

it's not a tree cricket... looks like a katydid nymph. i would guess that it is a young Scudder's bush katydid, or a similar species. compare it to the picture here: http://bugguide.net/node/view/118121

 
Locations of visitors to this page

free website counter