Friday, August 24, 2007

What makes me tick?

I was assigned the task of writing a short paper for my Romans class entitled "What Makes You Tick?" Well, I dunno if it's interesting reading, but here 'tis anyways:

=====

What makes me tick? Good question.

First, I'm a man fully in love with the Lord my God. I've a funny way of showing it sometimes, but He is ever-present in my thoughts and activities. Sometimes I think of myself along the lines of David or Paul wherein my desire is to fully dedicate myself to the Lord, but my flesh has this nasty habit of getting in the way. Of course, I'd hardly elevate myself to the level of David or Paul, but that is the comparison--albeit on a lower scale.


Of a much lesser note, I dig coffee. Hearty, robust, fresh-ground coffee. Straight from the bean. There are many flavors of coffee that I've found enjoyable, such as Snickerdoodle, Hazelnut, Egyptian Harrar, and even Blueberry Creme, but none can replace a good ole' fashioned French Roast. That's right, I said French Roast. Due to the election of a conservative hard-liner in France, I no longer feel compelled to boycott all things French. I'm not worried about calling it "Freedom Roast" or anything like that. I am kind of worried about the packages with the white flag on the label, however.


I truly enjoy singing. I've always had a love for music. The first "favorite band" in my life was the Beach Boys way back in the fifth grade. "Endless Summer" was the album (remember vinyl albums?) that I wore out for about a year. Soon after that, I discovered "Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band" by the Beatles. This plunged me into an extensive love affair with the Beatles' music--mostly their later material, but also including their earlier stuff to a lesser extent. When I got to high school, I was introduced to Led Zeppelin, which proved to be a gateway drug that lead me to myriad types of other music, such as the Blues, Jazz, and Classical. The problem I found with the groups I lionized was that I tried to sing along and butchered it badly. This lead to the thought that I couldn't sing and never would be able to. When I became a Christian many years later and sang in worship, I discovered that my vocal range was Second Bass. Well, no wonder! You see, all of my favorite bands growing up had extremely high tenor lead singers, and I was a bass trying to sing along with those jokers! Once I started singing along with other basses, I learned that I could, in fact, carry a tune. There's a lesson in there somewhere...


I am currently working in the White County Detention Center as a jail minister, which is a rather fulfilling task. For the last two years, I've been going in on Sunday nights and Tuesday nights to take care of Communion and the library cart along with other administrative duties--basically clearing the hurdles for the volunteers. Whenever someone doesn't show up, I go in their stead to lead singing, lead Communion or give the lesson. I've also had occasion to baptize folks, and that has been VERY rewarding. I must say that it is an awe-inspiring thing to be present at the birth of a new babe in Christ, especially when the baby has been through the mill, battle-hardened, broken, scarred and tested like these folks behind bars have been.


Well, that's what makes me tick. Of course, this isn't everything there is, but this is only a two page paper...

3 comments:

Jeff's Photos said...

What No Raiders, no Crazy Cat YouTube Videos, no Cats, no JarHead nonsense? That paper is not telling the truth.

Rambling Psychoses said...

Hah! Like I said, it's only a two page paper! Besides, I can't post EVERYTHING in ONE post. I have to leave something to post later...

Tammie's Thoughts said...

Quite interesting...learned more about you...NOW, WHEN are you coming back to see us?

 
Locations of visitors to this page

free website counter